Commando 2084 is the mix between Commando and Robotron 2084: it is like the original Commando game, but using the Robotron 2084 controls.
You play it using the two joysticks at the same time:
- Joy #2 controls the hero direction
- Joy #1 controls the bullets direction
But better if you play it with a Unijoysticle 2 with a Dualshok4 gamepad (or similar).
- Download game: commando-2084.d64
- Source code, fully commented: https://gitlab.com/ricardoquesada/c64-commando-2084/
- Controls are like in Robotron 2084. Use two joysicks (or one Unijoysticle):
- Joystick #2 to control the hero direction
- Joystick #1 to control the fire direction
- Autofire is enabled
- ‘Space’ to throw grenades.
- Levels 2 and 3 have bosses (enemies taken from Robotron 2084)
- The SFX used when these bossed are killed, are unused SFX from the original Commando.
- Difficulty increased, otherwise the game would be too easy to play:
- No extra lives
- 28 soldiers are inside forts, instead of 20
- Flickers were reduced, but there are still a few. Changes made to reduce flickering:
- Uses double-buffer multiplexer
- Faster sorting algorithm
- Faster “view port” rendering
- Music is played outside IRQ
- Unrolled some functions like “apply delta”
- And other tiny improvements here and there
- Smaller binary, single load
- Removed unused data/code
- Packed everything in a single binary
- Compressed binary using exomizer
- Misc fixes