I took the scroller+rasterbar effects from the game that I’m doing, I took the music from somewhere, the fonts from somewhere, I added some simple moving bars at the top… and done. I only had one day to do it, and I was very happy with the result.
The demo ran during the 1st day of the conference on a NTSC C64-SX.
Download the source code from here. Download the binary from here.
Photos is decoupled from Google+ with free unlimited storage: This is great. I’ve been using Picasa since day one and I never used Google+ to store my photos. So basically Photos is the same as Picasa, but with unlimited storage.
Chrome Custom Tabs: Interesting alternative to present 3rd party views with the benefits of both the web and native worlds.
What was not-that-interesting about the Keynote:
I don’t care if Android has better permissions or not (yeah, the old permissions-model sucked, but I don’t find that news interesting). The Family section for Google Play is good, but not interesting. Android Pay, meh. etc.
One thing that I liked, but was not announced on the Keynote, was Project Jacquard. They are using conductive threads and other stuff to create “smart” cloths. Something that Adafruit and Sparkfun have been doing for a while, BTW.
I’m good at software engineering, but in electronics, I’m a newbie. Nonetheless, I find electronics fascinating.
Last year I did the first basic tutorials with Arduino, then I played a little bit with Raspberry Pi and CI20 (technically not really electronics). And this year, I built a very simple circuit to connect the RGBI output of my Commodore 128 to VGA… I have been using breadboard, so no soldering, no PCB, or anything like that.
But yesterday I decided that I wanted to keep learning Arduino, so I tried to do some advanced tutorials, and it required soldering. I had never soldered before, I hadn’t read any soldering tutorial… but what could go wrong? Soldering is easy, right?
Well, everything went wrong… I tried to solder an LCD display but didn’t work, I tried to unsolder it and solder it again, but failed again. In fact, I think I burnt the LCD display. And also I think I broke the tip of the solder.
But on the positive side, I think I did all the possible mistakes that one possible can do when soldering… than means that I learned a lot 🙂
Anyway, I’ll keep learning electronics… I’ll keep learning how to solder, but this time I’ll practice with empty PCBs.
I reversed engineer some games / demos in order to learn tricks
I had a 300 bps modem but I didn’t find any good C64 BBS
I did some cracks for a local company that was “publishing” (AKA pirating) games. In exchange they were providing me games. To put things into perspective it was impossible (I mean IMPOSSIBLE) to get original games in Argentina back then.
I knew some basic tricks like how to use more than 8 sprites, how to open the top and bottom borders, some raster effects… but nothing very advanced.
I loaded all my programs / games using the disk drive, which was much faster than the datasette, but still very slow
I had a fast-loader cartridge to accelerate the disk drive loading times. It also had a rudimentary MONITOR.
Although Argentina was using the PAL-N standard I had a NTSC Commodore 128. In Argentina we also had the Argentinean Commodore, called Drean Commodore, which was a PAL-N machine assembled in Argentina